Sailors, this is a running list of recommendations and links to improve your sailing. Part of practice is taking the time off the water to increase your knowledge, so use these tips and win more!
10. This is how to roll tack an opti
9. IT IS BETTER TO FAIL AND LEARN THAN TO NOT TRY AT ALL.
8. Do not duck boats towards the middle. This means you are on a knock and getting passed every second.
7. Focus is the most important thing in sailing.
6. If you are winning/doing well in a race, stay between the boats you are trying to beat and the mark you are going to. YOU WILL NEVER GET PASSED IF YOU DO THIS PROPERLY
5. Come out of tacks too deep rather than too thin - this will ensure a fast tack and a powerful flatten from the roll - but be careful not to head down too far and stay on that course. If the tack is too deep, head up immediately after you reach full speed.
4. Opti Tacking Strategy- 1. PUSH THE TILLER GENTLY (Like a microphone) 2. LET THE BOAT HEEL UP 3. LEAP TO THE OTHER SIDE 4. SWITCH HANDS ONCE THE BOAT IS ON A CLOSE HAULED COURSE AND FLAT. DO NOT SWITCH HANDS UNTIL AFTER YOU SIT DOWN
3. When the boat is completely stalled out and there is no flow between the foils, YOU HAVE TO GET THE BOAT MOVING BEFORE YOU TRY TO MANEUVER! Do not just try and jam the tiller to one side and wait for the boat to respond. Rather, if you want to head down, hike the boat out to windward and backwind the jib as this will make the boat head down almost instantly. Once you have established a flow, then you are free to move the tiller as desired. NOTE: Steering is reversed when the boat is going backwards!
2. Steering with your weight/sails. THEY ARE CALLED SAILBOATS FOR A REASON. When you would like to head up, either trim the main and/or heel the boat to leeward. If you would like to head down, ease the main/trim the jib and/or heel the boat to windward. It makes me very sad when I see the boats try to head up with the main eased and jib trimmed in.
1. Pre-Start Routines are crucial. The best sailors tend to hang around the committee boat at all times during the regatta to make sure they are up to date on information and not left wondering what is going to happen. Line sights are also very important to get, as well as checking laylines. Even if you do not use them during the start, it is good to get into a habit of checking these because it helps get your mind focused on the race.